learn how to find them, even before the name index is finished
Audience: Beginning to Experienced Genealogist
Genealogy Class Type: Genealogy Methods, Tips & Tricks
We will go over methods to find ancestors using location information, suggest ways to find location information and street address using family documents & letters, City Directories, WWII Draft cards, and, for people who stayed in the same place, the 1930 Census. We will demonstrate using the Steve Morse One Step Site to locate the Enumeration District (ED) and even the block number. Then we will show how to use the ED and Block Number to locate the family without having to read through each sheet in the enumeration district.
We will also discuss possible pitfalls and how to overcome them: including renamed streets, modern development, and abandonment removal, or flooding of the old town.
Handout for this class will be available soon – click here to have it emailed to you when it becomes available
- Class Handout: Finding Your Ancestors in the 1940 Census Handout
- worksheet for transcribing info from the 1940 Census
This Genealogy Class has been taught at or is scheduled for:
- Durango Public Library, April 5, 2012
- Albuquerque Family History Expo, April 13, 2012
- Durango, location TBA, July (contact us to be notified when the date and location are set)
Questions? Comments? Interested in scheduling a class for your group? email our professional genealogist or leave a comment below.
© Anna Hopkins-Arnold 2012